Comprehensive, Compassionate And Results-Driven Representation

Short term emergencies and temporary child support modifications

On Behalf of | Aug 24, 2017 | Firm News, Modifications |

What if you suffer a sudden heart attack, get into a car accident or get hurt in some way that prevents you from being able to work and earn a living? The condition is only temporary and you expect to be back on your feet in a couple of months; however, you’re unable to make money to pay your child support. What should you do?

If you’re unable to pay your child support due to an extreme health circumstance that is out of your control — but temporary — you need to take action immediately. If you file the appropriate papers with the court, and sufficiently support your reasoning, you may be able to get a temporary change to your child support obligations.

If you suffered a medical emergency — or it might just be the temporary loss of your job — courts will often award you a temporary child custody modification. Perhaps the court will say that you will not be required to pay child support for several months while you’re healing and getting better. Or, perhaps the court will reduce your child support obligations to a level that you can afford for a temporary time until you return to work and start earning again.

A Maryland family law attorney can help you see a temporary child support change, but it’s important to act fast. If you get behind on your child support payments, it can come with severe legal consequences. Plus, the longer you spend not paying child support, the deeper you will get into debt and the more difficult it will be to get back on your sound financial feet again.

Source: FindLaw, “Child support modification FAQ,” accessed Aug. 24, 2017