Comprehensive, Compassionate And Results-Driven Representation

Sometimes Grandparents Are The Best Caretakers

There are certain instances where an individual who is the not the biological parent of a child may seek custody if the biological parent is unfit to care for the child. This may be a grandparent, aunt, uncle, older sibling or family friend. While the process for determining grandparent and third party rights is complex, our experienced attorneys will work vigorously to present the facts to the court and advocate for the child’s best interests.

The Law Office of Kevin L. Beard, P.A., has been serving families throughout the greater Baltimore area for more than 20 years by providing competent, committed and comprehensive legal services. Our law firm is located in Catonsville, Maryland, and represents clients in family law matters, including divorce, child support, child custody/visitation and paternity matters.

We are committed to helping our clients achieve resolutions that are in their best interests and address their needs. When you retain our services, you have the assurance of knowing that you will have continuous contact with your attorney and legal services that address your short- and long-term needs.

When Can Grandparents Pursue Custody Of Their Grandchildren?

If a parent is unfit to raise their own child, a “third party” (meaning a non-biological person) may seek custody and visitation rights. For instance, a grandparent may seek custody because the biological parent is abusive to the child. There can be various situations where another individual (a “third party”) may seek custody of a child, for instance:

  • The biological parent is incarcerated.
  • The biological parent is addicted to drugs or alcohol.
  • Mental health issues are present in the parent.
  • Abuse or neglect is apparent.
  • Biological parents have passed away.

We have handled many cases involving grandparents and third-party custody situations, and will work hard to demonstrate to the court that it is in the child’s best interests to be raised by the non-biological parent. We will gather and present the facts and evidence, and are prepared to advocate for you at all times. Our attorneys have even handled cases where custody was reversed and given back to a grandparent in an appeal.

Learn More About Nonparent Custody

Please contact us at your convenience to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Our lawyers are available to meet after hours and evenings by request, and accept credit cards as payment. Please contact our firm at 410-929-7197 or 888-366-6439 to schedule a free consultation.