Comprehensive, Compassionate And Results-Driven Representation

What happens if the other parent is absent when trying to determine child support?

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2021 | Divorce |

To get a child support order, you have to have two parents, but sometimes one parent is absent. If this is your situation and you cannot find the other parent to serve him or her with the court order, it can make your case a bit complicated.

The Department of Human Services explains the child support office can help you to locate the other parent. Locating him or she will enable you to ensure the parent is aware of the order and set up payments.


One of the most important aspects of finding an absent parent is getting as much information as possible. You should provide child support with everything you know about the other parent. This includes past job details, family member information and contact details.

The more information you can provide to the office, the better it will be able to hunt him or her down. Things, such as social media accounts, can provide a wealth of information, so even if you think something may not be helpful, you should still provide it to the child support office.


In some cases, complications may arise that can make tracking down the parent more difficult. This could include the other parent being out of state or working a job for cash. If the other parent uses fake names or constantly changes jobs, these things can also make it tough to get money from him or her.


The child support office can use various government contacts to look into taxes, licensing, mailing addresses and other information to try to track the other parent. You may hear from the office as it works, asking for additional information or help from you to narrow down where the other parent may be.

The child support office will work hard to try to locate an absent parent, but there are no guarantees they will find him or her. Your assistance is imperative to success with the search.